Oooh. I’ve been in a very weird space lately. Not wanting to create. Blaming everyone else (except of course myself) for my uncreativity. Coming up with a unique (yes, really!) idea. Not knowing how to market it. Suddenly wanting to be, and obsessing about being, creative.
I read a really discouraging thought several years ago: Once you want to start really selling yourself then you have to devote probably at least 30% of your creative time to promoting yourself.
What?! A third of my precious creative time?! Just devoted to promoting me, myself and I??!
Don’t be silly.
Okay, hang on. What does that mean? “Promoting myself”?
- Photographing your stuff.
- Processing the photos of your stuff.
- Writing a blurb about your stuff.
- Listing your stuff on an auction or whatever website.
- Pointing everyone to the fact that you have made your stuff publicly available.
- Publicising yourself.
Oh yeah. And this is outside of the thing that you are trying to sell.
It’s a pretty weird world.